Whether it be mice under the floor, squirrels in the walls, or raccoons in the attic, pests are a common problem for people living in homes across Canada. Like the rest of us, these animals search for heat, food, and shelter during the cold winter months. These unwanted roommates can cause damage to property and can chew through insulation, floorboards and pipes. They can even contaminate food, and worst of all, they can set homes ablaze by chewing through electrical wires. Here is what you can do to minimize the risk of pests in your home, and what you should leave to the professionals.
Do-it-Yourself Pest Control
– Repair damages: To prevent animals from making their way into your home, it is important to make sure that access is blocked off. This means, if you have a crack in the foundation, or perhaps a broken door or window, fix it as soon as possible. This will prevent a pest from waltzing in.
– Visit and clean uncommon areas: For many, the attic is a place that has never been touched. For some, the basement is storage. Without any human presence, pests will invade and inhabit these areas easily. Going to these places frequently and cleaning them will scare away pests and prevent them from settling in.
– Clean the yard: The most common reason for an initial backyard pest takeover is mismanaged plants and trees. Foliage and fruit that has fallen and not been raked presents an inviting shelter and nourishment for pests to settle into, especially because there is no human activity there. Eventually they can make their way up the tree, and jump onto your house. This is why it’s important to keep your lawn free of leaves, branches, and fruit, while ensuring that branches don’t offer easy access to your roof.
Whatever happens beyond this should be left to the professionals. If you’ve done everything you can to prevent pests, but somehow they’ve made their way in your home, it is time to call Raider Wildlife Control. You may feel like the cost will be lower if you attempt it yourself, but usually, you risk wasting money. You, your family, and your immediate environment’s safety are also at risk.
– Cost: Identifying the problem, finding the right product, and putting it into action takes training and knowledge. Failed attempts will often lead you to revisit the store to buy different products and these costs will surpass those of hiring a professional. Thoroughly trained technicians with the right identification process, products and amounts will get the job done the first time around.
– Safety: Pests can be dangerous animals, they can bite you, your family, or your pets and expose them to disease if they are not handled properly. Professionals know the habits and tendencies of these pests and also have the right protective gear and defensive tools to thwart attacks.
– Environment: You may be using a spray that is destructive to the environment around you, and perhaps your pets. Professionals have access to products that are environmentally friendly, and how to use them in safe amounts.
There are a lot of preventive measures you can take to ensure a safe future for you and your family. If the pests have somehow found their way in, it is time to call the experts at Raider Wildlife Control, and let their technicians take care of the problem. It will save you money while keeping your family and environment safe.